If you are travelling to Langkawi island, there are also a full range of accommodation choices from the budget to the upscale resorts. For a taste of the local lifestyle, there are homestay choices available that starts from RM50.
Langkawi Budget accommodations
You should note that rates in Langkawi are slightly higher even they are classified as ‘budget’ hotels as it is naturally a tourist destination. Among them are:
- The Cenang Beach Motel offers rooms from RM55 per night while from RM89, you can stay at the Chandek Kura Hotel.
- Meanwhile, the Cabin Langkawi offers an unforgettable experience with rooms starting from RM150 per night.
- .The Gecko Guesthouse, located towards the northern parts of Pantai Cenang offers RM15 per night dormitory stay while fan rooms start form RM45 per night.
One of the most perfect places you can stay in during a visit to Langkawi Island is at the Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa. This resort comes with its own private beach in Pantai Tengah which is far from the maddening crowd but near enough to give you maximum convenience. Within The Frangipani is a spa and 3 swimming pools while there is a bar that overlooks the beach and sea. From The Frangipani, you are minutes from the very popular Pantai Cenang while the rooms here are very spacious and come with your own fridge, bathtub in the showers and cable TV.Langkawi is one of the group of 99 islands located around the northwest of Malaysia. it is part of the northern state Kedah and has a population of around 45,000. It is a famous tourist destination and is home to many international events like the LIMA and the Tour de Langkawi.It is connected via Langkawi International Airport through Malaysia Airlines, Air Asia, Silk Air and FireFly while Berjaya Air too fly into Langkawi. Its natural resources are still left to be explored and has resorts in abundance in the once known as “Malaysia’s best-kept secret”.Alor Setar Location Facts
Facts about Langkawi
- Currency: MYR (Malaysian Ringgit)
- Dialling code: Langkawi Island is part of the state of Kedah. Calling the land lines here will require you to use the prefix of +604 before the telephone number while mobile numbers adhere to the standard telco assigned prefixes .
- Airport: Langkawi is served by the Langkawi International Airport.
- Airport Tax: applies for all flights
- Distance from airport to city centre: The airport is about 8 kms away from the centre of Langkawi Island
- Temperature: Langkawi experiences annual temperature between 24 and 34 degrees Celsius
- Climate and Weather: Tropical with high humidity
- Common languages: Bahasa Malaysia, English Language, Chinese and Tamil
A taxi ride from the airport to the city centre will cost about RM30. Within the central part of Langkawi, taxis are available on fixed rates and unmetered trips.
Highlights of Langkawi Island
As one of the top tourist destinations in Malaysia, Langkawi Island has a bit of everything for every tourist. Among those that you must visit here include:
- Sandy beaches – Just about anywhere you can imagine. You can visit the likes of Pantai Cenang which is perhaps the most popular one here. Otherwise check out Pantai Tengah, Pantai Kok, Datai Bay, Tanjung Rhu known for its clearer waters, Burau Bay, Pantai Pasir Hitam and Pantai Tengkorak. Animal Retreat – this is at the place called Animal Secret Languages
- Day tours – Most hotels and agencies provide these services. You can take day trips around the island or go to nearby jump-off spots
- Go for a cruise – What better way than to enjoy the sights and sounds of the sea and surroundings. Naga Pelangi is quite popular or you can try out Sunset Dinner Cruise.
- Mangrove Tour – You get to experience the river and get close to some real wildlife
- Water activities – Typically the type of activities you will enjoy here. Kayaking, snorkelling, diving and jet skiing are just some of the many different ones to try out.
- Nature – Mangroves are just some of the things you will see. However, you should try out jungle trekking around the island or head out for a nature walk. Other stuff you can do include eagle feeding at designated areas.
- Cable Car – This is at Gunung Mat ChinChang where you can take a ride there and experience the infamous hanging bridge of the island.
- Shopping – You should know that Langkawi Island is a duty-free island. So, shopping would be one of your best bets here. Look for places like Langkawi Parade Megamall, The Zon Duty-Free Shopping Complex KV Tobacco and Langkawi Saga, among many others.
Foods around Langkawi
You can literally find any type of food around Langkawi ranging from cheap to luxurious. The local favourites here include:
- Ikan bakar
- Nasi Dagang
- Nasi Lemak
Top Places you must visit in Langkawi
Kompleks Kraf handicraft centre
The Kompleks Kraf is a handicraft centre which showcases the rich tradition and culture of Langkawi Island. Demonstrations are held occasionally while shoppers can buy souvenirs and memorabilia from the local producers here.
Panorama Langkawi Skycab
Panaorama Langkawi is home to the Langakwi SkyCab. It is known as the Langkawi Cable Car which is a must-see for anyone visiting Langkawi Island as provides a panoramic and beautiful view of the island.
LIMA (Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace) is an annual event held in Langkawi Island which brings together the world’s best air and sea equipment for display and demonstration, often attracting thousands of visitors each year.
Dataran Lang or Eagle’s Square is an iconic landmark in Langkawi Island. This is where the majestic eagle statute stands around the pier to welcome guests to this island.
Underwater World Langkawi
Underwater World Langkawi is a must-visit destination in Langkawi Island. It is one of the largest marine and fresh water aquaria in South East Asia that houses many types of fishes and sea creatures.
Langkawi Cable Car
The Langkawi Cable Car is a major tourist attraction in Langkawi where it provides an aerial view of the island and the surrounding seas.
The Makam Mahsuri is the tomb of princess Mahsuri, perhaps the most famous legend in Langkawi Island which has been told for generations.
Laman Padi Langkawi
One of the major attractions here in Langkawi Island is the Laman Padi which will surely be a must-see for those who like agro-tourism which showcases the rice planting sector of the country.
Pantai Tengah is among the few popular beaches in Langkawi Island which attracts tourists and visitors to the island each day.
The Pulau Payar Marine Park is an exciting place to visit which can be reached via a 1-hour boat ride. There are many islands and a broad range of natural wonders to see here.
Asian Heritage Center
This is a place where you can find a comprehensive set of cultural and traditional items to buy while learning about the rich background of the island.
Faizy Crystal Glass Blowing
This unique technique is manifested through the range of products to buy. There are demonstrations on how the products are made through the glass blowing technique as well.