There are several ways to get to the beautiful rolling hills of Cameron Highlands, from south via Tapah Road in Pahang or Simpang Pulai in Perak, via Gua Musang in Kelantan and Raub via the new road in Pahang.
If you are travelling from the south via Tapah in Pahang, all you need to do is drive from Kuala Lumpur to Tapah by following the signboards. Since Cameron is located approximately 300 kilometres from Kuala Lumpur, be prepared to embark on a long journey with your family and friends. You’ll need to drive about 3 hours to Ipoh and continue on until you reach Tapah toll booth. Once you exit Tapah toll, turn left at the traffic lights as the road connects directly to the first town in Cameron – Ringlet. If you are looking for accommodation in the main town, Tanah Rata, you’ll need to drive another 12 kilometres from Ringlet.
Here are some driving tips for those who are driving to Cameron via Tapah – prepare around RM20 for the toll. Bear in mind that the road to Cameron Highlands is narrow and steep. Therefore, for those with motion sickness problem, perhaps it is best to bring along plastic bags and medicine. There are plenty of heavy vehicles driving along the way up Cameron Highlands. Hence, be extremely vigilant especially when you are trying to overtake other vehicles. Similarly if there are other vehicles behind trying to overtake you, do give way.
Simpang Pulai or Tapah Road?
For less experienced drivers, it is advised to drive to Cameron Highlands via Simpang Pulai as the road is in a much better condition and safer compared to Tapah route. Besides, it will only take about 45 minutes to get to Kampung Raja via Simpang Pulai route. As you exit Simpang Pulai toll, make a right turn at the traffic lights and drive for another 200 metres away before making another right turn.
Just continue to drive on the same route for the next hour because in no time, you’ll reach the junction to Kampung Raja. As you turn left into the new road leading to Kampung Raja, the main road is connected to other towns such as Tanah Rata and Brinchang. Just a reminder for drivers who are getting to Cameron via Simpang Pulai route – the road suddenly narrows therefore, drive slowly for your own safety. Please do not speed downhill (especially after heavy rain fall) because there is relatively high road accidents at Simpang Pulai stretch.
Please do not speed after the long bridge(downhill) in Simpang Pulai highway as accidents in this area are fatal.
You will see that there are many undertaker toll trucks waiting after these turns. We were being told that there are normally more than 5 accidents after rain fall.
Meanwhile, if you are driving from east coast via Gua Musang in Kelantan, the attraction is only about 120 kilometres away. It takes about 45 minutes from Gua Musang to Kampung Raja junction. This time around when you reach Kampung Raja junction, make a left turn. From this main road, drivers can get to Brinchang and Tanah Rata easily. Ensure that your car has sufficient petrol before you embark your journey to Cameron Highlands via Gua Musang because there is no petrol station along the way.
New highway road from Kuala Lipis and Raub
Finally, if you are driving to Cameron from Bentong (Raub) via the new road in Pahang, it takes about three hours to reach the rolling hills of Bertam Valley. The new road will lead you to Bertam Valley junction. From here, make a left turn to get to Ringlet town. Make a right turn if you want to get to Bertam Valley town. The other two towns, Brinchang and Tanah Rata are only around 25 kilometres away from the junction.
Here’s a summary on traveling to Cameron Highlands – it’ll only take three hours to get to the attraction via Tapah route but the road condition is dangerous and winding. On the other hand, Simpang Pulai route is safer but it takes about four hours to reach Cameron. Remember to turn on the spotlight when you spot thick fog around. For first time visitors, it is best to travel to Cameron by taking an express bus or book via tour agents. Petrol stations are only located in three main towns which are Kampung Raja, Tanah Rata, Brichang and Ringlet. Try to avoid driving around lunch or dinner hours because you’ll get stuck in the traffic for hours. Also, park responsibly especially during peak season because police officers would no hesitate to issue summons during peak seasons.
Where are you coming from?
Depending on where you are coming from, there are several options to get to Cameron Highlands. The experience will be breathtaking especially if you are the adventurous type where you can stop at major towns along the way like Ipoh and Penang before getting into the beautiful landscapes that greet you along the journey up to Cameron Highlands.
There are several options to get to Cameron Highlands if you are coming from Singapore. They are:
- By Bus – Direct buses are available from Singapore directly to Cameron Highlands. These services are provided daily from operators like Starmart Express, The One Travel and Tours that comes from Copthorne Hotel to Brinchang. Prices are from SGD50 per trip
- Luxury Coach – Besides the usual express bus services, you can come to Cameron Highlands via luxury and Super VIP buses as well
- By Air – Flying in is possible only via the major cities. From Singapore, there are daily flights to Kuala Lumpur and Penang.
From Johor Bahru
From Johor Bahru, you get more (and cheaper) options as compared to Singapore. This includes:
- Fly in – The nearest airport to Cameron Highlands is Ipoh via domestic flights. From the airport, you can catch a bus to Cameron Highlands. Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines offer these services.
- Self-drive – It would be ideal to get to Cameron Highlands by renting a car and driving here through the scenic mountain views. The trip will take about 7 hours(3 hours from JB to KL and 4 hours from KL to Cameron)
Penang would be a great hop on point to get to Cameron Highlands as it is only about 3 hours drive away. Besides driving here, you can come to Cameron Highlands using:
- Bus – There are almost hourly buses that comes to Cameron Highlands from Penang. Rates are from RM40 per trip. Services are offered by operators like Perak Transit, New Asian Travel and Billion Stars
- Transit Ipoh – Another alternative is to take a bus or train to Ipoh and then take the express bus by Perak Transit, Unititi, CS Travel and Tours to Cameron Highlands
From Kuala Lumpur
As the major transportation hub of the country, you can easily get to Cameron Highlands from Kuala Lumpur. Your first option is to get here on your own. Rent a car from the major service operators and you can get to Cameron Highlands via the North-South Expressway in about 4 hours. Apart from that, you can consider coming here using:
- Bus or Luxury Coach – Rates are about RM40 per trip. Operators include CS Travel and Tours and Unititi. Pick up points include Terminal Bersepadu Selatan. From Pekeliling Bus Stop, you can take the Pahang Lin Siong Motor service.
- Train – Your best bet is to take the train from KL Sentral to Ipoh using the ETS (Electrical Train Service) which is about RM35 and then take a bus to Cameron Highlands from there
- Flight – There are no direct flights to Cameron Highlands. You can fly to Penang and then take a bus here.
If you are coming from Thailand, you will need to take connecting transportation. It is advised to self-drive here as you get more opportunities to see more of the west coast. Otherwise, you can:
- Fly in – There are direct flights from major cities in Thailand like Bangkok and Hatyai into Kuala Lumpur and Penang. From there, take the bus to Cameron Highlands
- Train – From Hatyai, you can take the train into Penang and then connect to Cameron Highlands via express bus
Comfortable COACH/BUS to and from Cameron Highlands
Please check with local agent for schedule of daily Express train (North and Southbound.)
BY COMFORT COACH/BUS
Coach travel is one of the most convenient and economical way to come to Cameron Highlands. A number of companies provide regular, efficient express and tourist coach service to and from Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Singapore with a choice of day or night departures on some routes. All coaches are air-conditioned and most have adjustable seats and audio and video systems for on-board entertainment.
Stops are made during the journey for passengers to have their meals or light refreshments.
BY TAXI / BUS TRANSFER FROM TAPAH to Tanah Rata Bus Terminal
Taxi/Bus service are available from both Tapah town and Tapah Road Station (for those arriving by train) at reasonable rates.
Long Distance Express Bus Kurnia bistari Sdn. Bhd.
Main Road, Tanah Rata Bus Station,
39000 Tanah Rata
|Cameron Bus Schedule|
|Destination(Cameron Highlands)||Duration||Price||Time & Frequency||Pick-up or Drop-off place|
|To Kuala Lumpur||4 hours||RM35||Six buses daily. 8.30am, 11am, 1.45pm, 3.45pm, 5.30pm||KL Sentral & KL Pudu Sentral|
|From Kuala Lumpur||4 hours||RM35||9.00am, 10.30am, 1pm, 3.45pm||KL Pudu Sentral|
|To Singapore||10 hours||RM140||10am||Beach Road|
|To Melaka||6 hours||RM65||9.30am|
|To Ipoh||2 hours||RM18||8am & 2.30pm||Bus Station(Old Town)|
|To Penang/Butterworth(stop by Ipoh)||5 hours||RM32||8am & 2.30pm|
|Kurnia Bistari Express||Kuala Lumpur
(Counter 87, Puduraya 0163033330)
(adult & Child)
|Kurnia Bistari Express||Cameron Highlands
(Counter 87, Puduraya 0163033330)
(adult & Child)
|Damai Express (26 seater coach)||Cameron Highlands(Tanah Rata)||Counter 8 & 9 pasarakyat, Jalan Imbi, Kuala Lumpur (03-2145 9077)||RM30.00 (4+ hours)||Daily
|Damai Express (26 seater coach)||Counter 8 & 9 pasarakyat, Jalan Imbi, Kuala Lumpur (03-2145 9077)||Cameron Highlands(Tanah Rata)||RM25.00 (4+ hours)||Daily
|Express||Ipoh Bus Station (Old Town)||Cameron Highlands(Tanah Rata)||RM7.90 (3 hours)||8.00 am 11.00 am 3.00 pm 6.00 pm|
|Express||Cameron Highlands(Tanah Rata)||Ipoh Bus Station (Old Town)||RM7.90 (3 hours)||8.00 am 11.00 am 3.00 pm 6.00 pm|
|Express||Penang (Perangin Mall)||Cameron Highlands(Tanah Rata)||RM23.00 (5 hours)||8.00 am
ONE-WAY RADIO TAXI JOURNEY(from Cameron Highlands)
Tel: 605-4912355 (Cameron Highlands)
Minimum 4 person is required in order to book a taxi.
Please call RADIO Taxi Cameron Highland for latest pricing(605-4912355)
|Tapah||RM32.0(RM90 per taxi)|
|Ipoh||RM60.00(RM90 per taxi)|
|Sultan Aziz Shah Airport||RM130.00|
|Kuala Lumpur – Tapah Road
Departure: 7.40 am
Arrival: 9.50 am
(Ekspress Sinaran Pagi) Departure:1.45 pm
Arrival: 3.55 pm
(Ekspress Rakyat) Departure: 8.45 pm
Arrival: 11.14 pm
(Ekspress Langkawi) Departure: 10.00 pm
Arrival : 12.49 am
(Ekspress Senandung Malam)
|Tapah Road – Kuala Lumpur
Departure: 11.46 am
Arrival: 2.00 pm
(Ekspress Rakyat) Departure: 5.33 pm
Arrival : 7.55 pm
(Ekspress Rakyat) Departure: 2.02 am
Arrival: 5.10 am
(Ekspress Langkawi) Departure: 3.07 am
Arrival: 6.15 am
(Ekspress Senandung Malam)
|Butterworth – Tapah Road
Departure: 8.00 am
Arrival : 11.46 am
(Ekspress Rakyat)Departure: 2.00 pm
Arrival : 5.37pm
(Ekspress Sinaran Petang)Departure: 10.00 pm
(ekspress Senandung Malam)
|Tapah Road – Butterworth
Departure: 9.50 am
Arrival: 1.40 pm
(Ekspress Sinaran Pagi)Departure: 3.55 pm
Arrival: 7.53 pm
(Ekspress Sinaran Petang)Departure 11.14 pm
Arrival:(in Bukit Mertajam) 3.51 am
(Ekspress Langkawi)Departure: 12.49 am
Arrival: 6.10 am
(Ekspress Senandung Malam)
|Alor Setar – Tapah Road
Departure: 8.00 pm
Arrival: 2.02 am
|Tapah Road – Alor Setar
Arrival: 5.16 am
Rates for Cameron Shuttle Van 11 Seaters Per Way
|Depart daily at 9.00am / 1.00 pm / 5.00pm|
|Ex- Kuala Besut Jetty||11 Seats Van|
|Kota Bharu Airport||RM170.00|
|Kota Bharu Town||RM170.00|
|Wakaf Bharu Trains Stations||RM220.00|
|Tanah Merah Trains Stations||RM200.00|
|Rantau Panjang ( Thai Border )||RM250.00|
|Merang Jetty (Redang Island )||RM180.00|
|Kuala Terengganu Airport||RM220.00|
|Kuala Terengganu City||RM250.00|
|Marang Jetty ( Kapas Island )||RM300.00|
|Mersing ( Tioman Island )||RM950.00|
Transfers to anywhere at your convenience
- The Cameron Shuttle Service is a convenient and economical option to travel.
- You can engage our services to get around the major attractions around Cameron Highlands, inter-town travelling or to other states as well. There are several routes to choose from which are catered for long and short distance transfers.
- Be sure to be at our office at the standard designated departure times.
- For the Cameron Highlands-Taman Negara route, our shuttles depart at 10.00am daily. Please refer to our staff should you require more information and to make bookings. Besides the destinations above, we can arrange transfers from other locations based on request from the customer.
- For transfer between Cameron Highlands to Kuala Besut, rates start from RM650.00 for a van and we have several routes available including Kuala Lumpur, KLIA, Ipoh, Penang and Kota Bharu, among others.
- Meanwhile, our rates are based on per person per journey. A minimum of 2 person for each destination by Shuttle Van or Licensed Taxi will be required before confirmation.
- 50% of the adult rate is applicable for children below 12 years of age.
- Guided services are not inclusive in the above rates.
- The charge for guides is RM200.00 per day per guide.
- An additional charge of RM50.00 will be imposed for exemption letters.
- If you are chartering the whole vehicle to outstation destinations, accommodation for the driver will be borne by the customer or an extra RM50.00 per night will be imposed.
- Seat-in-Coach transfer Cameron Highland and Kuala Tahan will only be available from 1st March to the 31st of October.
- Depending on the destination, empty run will be charged accordingly. Take note that the rates quoted are subject to change without prior notice.
- A full payment is requested in order to confirm your booking which must be at least 1 week from the travel date.